Monday, June 18, 2012

Vacation ...a Victory!

So many people say to me..."It must be so nice to be your own boss and make your own hours".  There's some truth to that, as I do try to plan my days around my son's school and soccer schedules.  But, the reality is usually more that my work, as a boutique owner, keeps me so busy that I don't really plan my own hours.  In fact the hours and the needed work often plan my day for me, with business issues and work "fires" seizing me from the moment I wake up until the moment I fall into bed. 

Here's my secret though: I like it that way!  I love being busy, and I love the challenge each day brings as a business owner.  Have you ever seen that commercial for Staples?  The one about Dave? He is a small business owner, and when any problem arises the answer is always to call Dave.  I have an incredible team of people and they all make tons of decisions, but ultimately each person ends up with several questions for me every day, and combined with vendors, customers, emails, phone calls, voice mails, bookkeeping issues, etc: my every day is full of answering these questions and solving these problems.  When I see the Staples commercial I get a good laugh.  I can completely relate!  If you're a small business owner, you can watch it below and laugh along with me:)



The best part of my job, like Dave's, is that there is never a dull moment.  I always feel busy and fulfilled.  The flip side of this is that it is hard to have relaxation and to get away.  My husband and I have always tried to make 2 vacations a year a priority as weekends and evenings are mostly spent working for both of us.  We need that time to recharge.  In fact, I find I do my best work and creative thinking either on the way home from vacation or within my first few days back at work after some time off.  One challenge though is that ever since around the time I started Flourish, our personal finances (both from the costs of starting a new business and because of the recession effecting his work in real estate) have kept us from truly getting away.  For example, while taking a trip up into Michigan two summers ago, we cancelled a day trip to  Mackinac Island last minute because the money just wasn't there.  And, another example, we would go places with water but not have enough money to get out on the water in any way because we couldn't afford a boat rental or anything of the sort. 

For someone who grew up with a lake house, a boat, and jet-skis, it was strange to be grounded during vacations.  Growing up, my family had always worked incredibly hard owning their own small business, but we also played hard and had the financial blessings that hard work provided.  The recession though taught me that you can work just as hard, be just as intelligent, offer the same services, and try as you might you cannot 100% control everything.  That being said, we made our own fun on the vacations from 2008-12 and overall focused on the things we could still enjoy. Some of our top things to do while we were broke but on vacation included:

1. Going to a pool: though we didn't have the recourses to go to big amusement parks or out on the water in boats and jet skis.  We always seemed to be able to find a way to get to a pool.  Sometimes even our budget hotel or home rentals had access to one or you can often go to some type of community pool for very reasonable.  This helped it still seem like summer vacation and our son loved it
2. Getting drive through food and taking it to a picnic table on the beach.  Gone were the days of sitting out on patios at nice restaurants to watch the sunset while enjoying dinner...but we found a way!
3. Going to a thrift shop and buying old games and puzzles.  You can buy old games and puzzles for sooo cheap at places like Goodwill and things of that nature: we did this several times and had a lot of fun in the evenings playing family games.

During these times, I learned that family vacation really is all about family.  Sharing a meal is about WHO you share it with and not where.  Enjoying a "drive in" strawberry shake can taste just as good as a gourmet strawberry shortcake and so on. 

Slowly, over time, with the Lord's help, combined with discipline Stephen and I used in adapting the debt free policies of Dave Ramsey, and persistence on both our parts to make our businesses successful: we have pushed through the hard times and have both turned corners in our careers.  Flourish continues to grow and is now experiencing growth and success online too.  And, my husband's real estate career is going crazy.  He is now currently number two in our county for the year in real estate and he has been blessed with lots of new business coming down his pipeline right now too.  You can check his Facebook page out here in fact.   

This summer, our vacation is the first time I have taken time away and felt truly peaceful in over 4 years.   For the first time, I knew that we could take the time we needed to recharge without feeling guilty over not working.  I am so thankful to the Lord for his blessings to allow this time away and I am so thankful to my family and my husband for making it possible too.  We made our vacations during the past few years as fun as possible, but there is something about this trip that is returning my heart and soul to a place it not has been in a long time.  Mostly it's a feeling of peace.


Today, in what seemed almost like a symbol of freedom and victory, my dad rented a boat, and our whole family spent the whole day back on the water: tubing, boating, swimming, and in the beautiful sun.  We may not have a lake house anymore, or own the boat anymore  (these were all sold during the recession) but we have our family and that's whats important....and today we had the blessing to get out on the water and have a blast.  For us, it was a real victory and marked a turning point, from which we will hopefully leave the Great Recession behind us. 


Me, Vanessa, feeling grateful and peaceful on vacation!
 And, to top off one of the best days ever, we had dinner at a great waterfront local restaurant.  The sun set while we were eating and the sky was filled with beautiful colors, including a FLOURISH pink that made me smile.  It was twilight when we were winding down, and I snapped this photo below of our clan all relaxed and with a vacation glow.  So, with that, I am off to go read a little, relax a lot,  and enjoy a vacation evening.  I hope your summer is filled with the love of family too.      Much Love, Vanessa


The Cooreman-Smith clan enjoying dinner together

1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog! would you mind following each other via bloglovin? :) xx

    /Malin @ http://fashionfied.tk

    ReplyDelete